Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

My Birthday and Other Thoughts

It was my birthday on Saturday. I'm now 20 years old, which means that I will have to start behaving like a proper adult. Easier said than done! Seriously though, people keep asking me whether I feel any older. I think it's a pretty silly question. How can I possibly feel any older than I did three days ago? I will admit, however, that when I actually stopped and gave it some serious consideration I felt a bit dizzy and had to sit down in the nearest chair! Ah well, I'll get used to it.

Anyway, I had a much better birthday than last year. Mainly because it was a weekend and everyone was at home this time. Last year both my parents were working and my sisters were at school, so it was a little on the dull side until my best friend rescued me and we met up in town. This time I had a nice day at home with a few presents and a chocolate brownie cake that my sister made for me. I absolutely love brownies so it was the logical solution!

Today I met up with a few of my friends in town. It was really good to catch up with them again, as it had been way too long since I'd last seen some of them. It was also nice to be able to contribute something to the conversations about university! Although I must admit some of the scientific terms went way over my head - two of my friends are science students and one is a medical student! I seem to know quite a high number of science students - second only to those training to be teachers! I wouldn't care to study it myself, as it seems pretty intense, not to mention the fact that I wasn't much good at the science subjects at school. But I admire their ability to do it, and they seem to love it too, in spite of how difficult it is.

Speaking of degrees... getting close now! Two weeks from now I will be living in my new apartment on campus, doing god knows what. My registration information came in the post last week, including my timetable for orientation. It doesn't start until the Wednesday, so I'll be spending the first two days trying to make some friends. A daunting prospect! I have to register for my course online this week and my email and portal services will be activated 24 hours after that. I'll be able to view my timetable for the semester then too, which I'm really excited about. Knowing my luck, though, there will be a few nine o'clock starts in there! I'm going to have the following modules during the first semester: Introduction to Social Studies, Photography and Design 1, Sound Production 1, Multimedia Studies, Authoring and Introduction to Communication Theory. It'll be hard work, of course, but fun stuff nonetheless.

Can't believe it's only two weeks away! Aaahhh!

P.S. - My culinary skills are improving! Last week I conquered a long-standing fear of cooking chicken for myself. It had to be done, since I just love chicken. I have always been terrified of giving myself food poisoning, as we all know how disastrous the consequences of eating undercooked chicken can be. But I'm pleased to say it turned out perfectly. I'll never be a gourmet chef, but it's a nice accomplishment!

No comments:

Post a Comment